At Church & Page, we help Washington residents recover when they lose a spouse, parent, or other loved one due to a wrongful death. With our help, we’ve empowered many families to file wrongful death claims on the behalf of the deceased in order to recoup financial compensation that seeks to cover the cost of your damages. Nothing can replace the presence of a loved one–so getting the justice you deserve is important.

Because your loved one has passed away, a wrongful death claim needs to be brought on by the estate of the deceased. An estate is the total property, real and personal, owned by an individual prior to distribution through a trust or will. The estate becomes a sort of legal entity that holds the assets and debts of the person who has passed away.

Read on to learn how to start a wrongful death claim on the behalf of the deceased, and schedule a free consultation with Church & Page today if you have more questions about getting started.

What Is The First Step To Filing A Wrongful Death Claim?

The first step to filing a wrongful death claim is to schedule a free consultation with a wrongful death attorney. At Church & Page, we’ve helped many families through this process, and make ourselves available to provide the same help to you. In your initial consultation, we’ll listen to the details of your loved one’s accident and begin to paint the picture of how the accident occurred. We will seek to find out if your loved one left behind a will or not.

If they did have a will created before they passed away, this should leave us with instructions regarding who will represent the deceased once they’ve passed away, how assets will be distributed, and other important financial and personal information.

Because of the nature of a wrongful death, these accidents happen without warning. Many of those who pass away due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness did not make detailed plans for past their lifetime, leaving gaps in information regarding what should happen with their finances.

What Happens If My Loved One Passed Away Without A Will?

If your loved one passed away without a will, our lawyers will handle all of the leg work to get their estate established. Your wrongful death attorney will file a petition with the court in order to appoint a personal representative- a close loved one or family member of the deceased who will spearhead the creation of the estate.

The petition is given a case number, similar to a lawsuit or another civil inquiry filed with the court. Once the personal representative is appointed by the court, proof will be issued that gives the personal representative permission to handle the estate.

What Kind Of Compensation Can My Family Get For A Wrongful Death Lawsuit?

As a surviving family member of a loved one who passed away from a wrongful death, you can file a lawsuit in Washington for the financial settlement you deserve. We understand that nothing can make up for the loss of this close relationship and companionship in your life.

We know how hard it can be to recover when you’re mourning the loss of this relationship in your life– at the same time that you’re struggling to keep up with bills without the financial assistance from your loved one.

We fight for our victims to be compensated for loss of consortium. Loss of consortium is defined as deprivation of the benefits of a family relationship (including affection and sexual relations) due to injuries caused by a negligent party.

If you lost a spouse, parent, or other close family relative due to someone else’s negligence, recklessness, wrongdoing or carelessness, you deserve financial compensation for this loss of consortium.

When you lose a loved one, you lose many things that they contributed to your life. This sadly can mean financial assistance, too. When a spouse, parent or other close loved one dies due to a wrongful death, you can file a claim to get compensation for these lost wages also. Last, but not least, our team will fight for your right to compensation for your pain and suffering as well.

Call Church & Page Today For A Free Consultation

If you have lost a loved one to a wrongful death, contact Church & Page today to schedule a free consultation about filing a wrongful death claim. Our Yakima personal injury attorneys have extensive experience helping people just like you. We’ll stop at nothing to earn you the compensation you deserve after losing your loved one, and will make sure you get everything you need to recover as fully as possible.