In civil cases, restitution is formally defined as “a remedy associated with unjust enrichment in which the amount of recovery is typically based on the defendant’s gain rather than the plaintiff’s loss.” In criminal cases, restitution is defined as “Full or partial compensation for loss paid by a criminal to a victim that is ordered as part of a criminal sentence or as a condition of probation.”

Restitution is a type of financial payment that is occasionally awarded to crime victims in order to offset damages they accrued due to someone else’s wrongdoing or negligence. If you lose a loved one to a wrongful death due to someone else’s negligence, you may be paid restitution to account for the loss. If something of value was stolen from you, such as a car or laptop, restitution can be paid to you by the criminal in order to offset the financial loss.

Who Has To Pay Restitution?

Whether the case in question is either civil or criminal cases, the restitution payments will come directly from the person who committed the crime in question, whether the crime committed was against the state or against another individual. and they are typically required to make the payments every month. The criminal pays the money directly to the court, and the court then gives the money back to the victim.

What Is The Difference Between A Civil Or Criminal Case?

Restitution is commonly awarded in criminal courts for criminal cases, as theft is typically where restitution comes into play. Criminal cases deal with crimes that are committed from one person to another, as well as crimes committed against the state or federal government. Civil court cases, on the other hand, deal with disputes and issues between two people, sometimes over contracts or legal obligations.

While restitution can be provided in a civil or criminal case, it’s more common to see it happen for criminal cases. It is important to note, however, that many states have programs that help victims of crimes pay for their funeral expenses, lost wages, counseling related to the crime or accident, and much more. In most cases, victims of these situations can’t receive both compensation and restitution. If this happens, the criminal in question would be required to send their remaining restitution payments to the state instead of to the victim directly.

What Other Rights Do I Have After Suffering Damages Due To Someone Else’s Negligence?

If you have been injured in a car accident, motorcycle accident, dog bite, or another personal injury matter in Washington, it’s important to remember that you have rights. In some cases, you can be awarded restitution. But it’s perfectly understandable to be unsure of what’s next to come after getting into an accident, and the majority of people are unaware of their rights after becoming injured or suffering damages.

Remember that all Washington accident victims have the right to contact a lawyer and consult with legal counsel about the details of their case. At Church and Page, we offer a free consultation to any Washington accident victim who suffered damages at the hands of another person’s recklessness or negligence. You also have the right to defend yourself in a personal injury claim, without the help of a lawyer, but note that you may be at a disadvantage without the help of a seasoned, knowledgeable attorney by your side.

Anyone who has been injured in an accident is entitled to seek legal counsel, but not every personal injury case will see court and become a lawsuit. Some accident cases can be settled civilly out of court, but if your claim does need to go before a judge, rest assured that the personal injury attorneys at Church and Page will stop at nothing to win you the compensation you deserve. If you believe you are entitled to restitution, we’ll handle the logistics and inform you of everything you need to know before you start receiving payments.

Contact Our Kennewick Personal Injury Lawyers If You Have Been Hurt Because Of Someone Else’s Carelessness

If you have been injured or suffered damages because of someone else’s negligence, recklessness or carelessness, call Church and Page as soon as possible to chat with a lawyer about the possibility of filing a personal injury claim. You may be entitled to compensation or even restitution for what you have endured.

Your initial consultation with our personal injury attorneys is free of charge and comes at no obligation to you. The sooner you call, the sooner we can get started getting you the compensation, or restitution, that you and your loved ones deserve.